Weekend Rewind

August 12, 2013

My boss was nice enough to let me head out a little early on Friday afternoon...so we were on the road to Allen, Texas by 2pm! Danny decided to join us afterall....it was a dilemma all week.  He wanted to see the girls compete, but also wanted to be back home by Saturday evening, as he had some plans with his dad...he was going back and forth about it all week, and decided on Friday morning that he would go afterall.  So at 2pm...we were on the road, headed to our first karate tournament. 


The ride was smooth (especially for me since I think I fell asleep for awhile after the mandatory Buckee's pit stop).  We arrived at our hotel at about 6:15 and dropped off our bags , then headed straight to the tournament.  The 4th and 5th degree black belts were competing on Friday and we were eager to get a glimpse of what to expect and to cheer on Mr. Henderson and Ms. Aggen. 

It was surreal!  The intensity of the competitions was awesome.  For example...Danny and Isabella were on the side of the ring when Mrs. Aggen was sparring and they had to jump out of their seats and move away to avoid being hit!!  It was crazy to watch these events, but so exhilarating!! We went back and forth between Mr. Hendersons ring and Ms. Aggens until they both were done.  It was great!!

When they finished up we headed out to get a bite to eat before we went back to our room.  As luck would have it...we were right across the street from the Twisted Roots Burger company, which was featured on Triple D.  (If you know us, then you know one of our favorite past times is eating!! LOL) We love to drive around and try places that are featured on the food network...especially Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.  The Twisted Root Burger Company was great!!


We were stuffed after that!  Went back to the hotel, took showers, ironed the uniforms (thanks Danny for going to buy us starch in the middle of the night), and we were down for the count. 

We were ready and out of the hotel by 7:20......or so we thought.  We headed to the Allen Event Center, stoped at a little bakery to have some pastries and then went to park to walk over and get ready.  Well as I pulled the uniforms from the back to get dressed...I realized I didn't have Isabella's pants.....they were back at the hotel sitting on the bed!!!!  Danny was not so happy (but Makaila was very happy - she had forgotten her favorite cup filled with Limeade in the hotel cooler...so it worked out great for her).  We rushed back to the hotel, got our forgotten items and zoomed back to the event center....They were only 2 exits apart, no need to worry....but long enough to piss off the driver! LOL

We were dressed and in the event center by 8:15 (still 30 minutes ahead of schedule)....so we walked around,  got the girls tournament shirts....found a few people from our ATA school, and just took it all in.  There were hundreds of ATA folks all around....its funny how a year ago, we knew NOTHING about ATA and never would have imagined the size of this organization.....and there we were competing in our first Tournament!!!!  A little scary!

The opening ceremonies started at about 8:45....we all did the Songham Pledge, bowed in, they introduced all the Masters of Ceremonies, and judges and then ....the games began!!!  The first ones to compete were the tiny tigers.  Now this is one of the funniest things you will ever see. 

Tiny Tigers are the kids ages 2-6.....there were some tears, some screaming, some uncontrollable jumping, and so forth...but Danny and I were both super proud of Isabella who was the ONLY person in her ring that knew her form completely with no help, and her one-steps.  She kicked butt.  I didn't find out until later that there is no ranking in the Tiny Tigers division (they all get metals)...but had there been Issy would have taken them all!!!!!!

As Isabellas ring was finishing up they started to stage the Juniors by rank.  It was time to go watch Makaila.  She did awesome!!!!  She completed her form with no mistakes...however the judges gave her low scores!!! 



I was not impressed with the judges inconsistencies and was feeling a little pissy after that.  I also was wondering what was up with our main judge...he kept stalling and waiting......but no one knew why.....!!! (I found out later though).  She did two rounds of sparring before she was knocked out of the competition, which again...not fair.....she did way better than the other guy.  At this point...I'm wondering what the heck is going on.  They gave better scores to kids who started and stopped mid way and then restarted...which is ridiculous, and then a kid who didn't even do his form was allowed to compete in the sparring...not to mention the fact that he placed in sparring and he sucked!!!

Now let me just start by saying....I know that I am biased, but I also know my baby was cheated here!! In my opinion, she should have placed 3rd in forms (there were two kids that had their forms down awesome), and 2nd in sparring.   She did an impecable form (I know for sure because we watched the recording over and over a few times last night).  She was not a happy camper. 

I kept telling her that sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles, and that next time we would not give them any room to deny that she is in the top 3.  She said she thought they scored her badly because she was the only girl in the ring.  I wasn't so sure, but I told her that sour faces were not allowed and that we have to take it as a lesson learned and work harder.  (what every teenage kid who just lost wants to hear ...right! NOT!!  I know...but what else could I say)  It's not like I could say.."yeah babygirl, we got screwed, and I'm gunna raise hell!"....things don't work that way, and all we have left at this point is to work harder next time.

Danny and Issy were hungry, so they left to get a bite to eat, while Makaila and I waited around for my area to be called.  It wasn't until 1:40 that they called the Orange belt adults.  I was super nervous.  My face felt like it was on fire and my stomach was turning.  Had the girls not been there (for me to be setting an example for),  I probably wouldn't have competed. 

Well as luck would have it the sister to the boy who showed up in Makaila's sparring round was in my age group, and she was a chatty Kathy!  She told me that they were late getting there and that her school master (who just so happened to be the judge in their ring) was stalling to try to give them time to make it.  She said "my brother missed forms, but he was still able to make it and place in sparring which was good....our teacher was pretty happy!!" YA THINK!!!  So now I knew for sure Makaila was cheated!!  Not that I could do much about it...but at least I knew why! Makaila obviously picked up on the chit chat between me and the girl, cause she felt the need to come over and whisper in my ear "thats the boys mom, who came out of nowhere and won in my sparring group...beat her."  I know I really shouldn't think this is funny, and I shouldn't encourage her bad sportsmanship....but I just laughed at her and told her to go stand by Danny.  Inside I really wanted to say "I know baby...and we were right....they did cheat!"  (at least I was big enough to not say that out loud....at least not yet).  I was third up to do my form and I was given a 9.8, 9.7 and 9.7.  Not bad! 

Actually not bad at all...I was called back up to do it again, as I had tied for first place with another girl.  The second time didn't go so well....I missed 4 of the last 5 steps and so naturally, they gave me lower scores and I placed second.  I was still happy with this, as I was not expecting to place at all.  That was followed by sparring which I rocked at.  I think  winning in forms gave me a confidence boost, cause I rocked it and won first place in Sparring!  We finished up and I was congratulated by a few people from our school, including Master & Mr. Henderson.  They were pretty excited about my placing...(I didn't expect it at all, and I'm sure they didn't either).  We walked over to go watch a few of the other adults from our school compete and then we headed out.  I drove us all home and we were back in Houston by 7:30!!  Not bad. 




Makaila was still not happy about it and asked if they could go spend the night at Alec's, so I told her sure and Danny took them overthere on his way to his dads.  I on the other hand, stayed home to rest.  I was exhausted!  With the house to myself, I watched the last half of Stupid, Crazy, Love on HBO (I love that movie), and was out for the count by 10:30!!  I woke up Sunday morning at about 7:30 and went to lounge on the couch, until it was time to get ready for church. 

Danny woke up and got ready for church.  he met me there and we listened to the continuance of the Shark Weakness Series that Pastor Kerry started last week.  Here is a few of my Notes from service:

Communication Cage

  •  75% of Marriage problems are attributed to a lack of communication
  • The keys to a successful marriage are
    • Listening - connecting
    • Compliment & Praise
    • Verbal Affection  - words, compliments, affections
  • It's a sin against God to not praise your wife.  In Ephesians - Solomon praises his wife and makes her feel treasured, valued, respected, and this produces passion, and connection.
  • When your in a relationship, your mate should make you feel valued, bring you up and increase your self worth  - if he doesn't then get out before you marry them....if its not good at first...its not gunna get better!!. 
  • It's ok to get angry - It means you care; but it isn't ok to stay angry because it becomes bitterness. 
  • As a marriage you both need to get into the communication cage and stay there until you share and resolve, and come out stronger, and braver to stand against the sharks that attack your marriage.
  • The greatest risk you can take is to be honest, risk rejection/ failure, and trust that God has good things in store for you. 
  • Marriage is difficult, but it can be SO rewarding......it will be what you make of it...so give it your all and be honest. 
  • The opposite of fear if not faith, but unconditional love and acceptance.
  • Even when you are faithless, he is faithful!

After church Danny and I went home and literally lounged around all day.  He slept on the couch and I surfed the internet checking out other blogs!!  Then I got bored and cleaned out my closet.  I spent 4 hours, trying on clothes and making up outfits!!  Finally at 8:30 we got up and went to Panera Breads for a cup of soup and a sandwich for dinner.  ( I guess I could have actually cooked instead of playin in the closet...but Oh well....too late now!)  We stopped at Target and got a few things that neither of us really needed, then we went home and got ready for bed.  Issy called at 10, saying she wanted to come home, but I had to talk her out of it.  It would have taken 45minutes each way to go get her, and I have to be up by 5!!!  I bribed her with a promised trip to see Blanca (their old baby sitter) tomorrow, and then she sang me my favorite song and we prayed....after that I was out!!

Overall...I'd say we had a pretty good weekend.  Tried something new, ate good food, spent time together as a family, went to church to hear a great message about marriage with Danny by my side, and then spent an afternoon doing absolutely nothing!!  I'd say we are one blessed little group of Limons!! Feeling happy!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Limon Tree Treasures. Design by FCD.